Hollywood Camera Work Support Product Support Causality Story Sequencer Prop, wardrobe, etc. tracking ideas

Prop, wardrobe, etc. tracking ideas

Prop, wardrobe, etc. tracking ideas

Banquetburger
12-05-2023, 01:41 AM
Hi there Per (and anyone else with any input on this) -

Do you have any ideas for a quick way to create a list all of the props, wardrobe items, etc. that crop up in a script in Causality?

I certainly understand that Causality isn't a production tracker, but I'm just a small team working on a tiny short and figure there must be a way to hack together something useful with all of the advanced functionality that Causality provides.

Currently all I can think of is manually creating a tag for each item as it pops up, and then throwing those tags in a Research Folder - but I'd like to know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks
Banquetburger
12-05-2023, 01:41 AM #1

Hi there Per (and anyone else with any input on this) -

Do you have any ideas for a quick way to create a list all of the props, wardrobe items, etc. that crop up in a script in Causality?

I certainly understand that Causality isn't a production tracker, but I'm just a small team working on a tiny short and figure there must be a way to hack together something useful with all of the advanced functionality that Causality provides.

Currently all I can think of is manually creating a tag for each item as it pops up, and then throwing those tags in a Research Folder - but I'd like to know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks

perholmes
Per Holmes
12-05-2023, 08:58 AM
The limit to using tags is that they're per-beat, and don't reference the text. So as an aside, we have a bit of a naming problem, because we use tags as tags are normally understood in software, but production tagging is also called tagging, yet is something entirely different.

We don't have a system for that right now, but have always planned to. We're just drowning in tasks that elbow themselves in front of a task like production tagging. But you're not the first to ask. And the reality is that if Causality doesn't at least have its foot in the door with production, i.e. tagging and revisions, then people are forced to *stop* using Causality at the point that it becomes a shooting script. And as we all know, that's not where writing ends. And now people have to move the text of the script into something completely different just so they can shoot it. It's not great.

All I can say is that it's on the radar. But it's overshadowed by the need for sync/collaboration, which has very high pressure for broad parts of the userbase, so that's where the energy goes.
perholmes
12-05-2023, 08:58 AM #2

The limit to using tags is that they're per-beat, and don't reference the text. So as an aside, we have a bit of a naming problem, because we use tags as tags are normally understood in software, but production tagging is also called tagging, yet is something entirely different.

We don't have a system for that right now, but have always planned to. We're just drowning in tasks that elbow themselves in front of a task like production tagging. But you're not the first to ask. And the reality is that if Causality doesn't at least have its foot in the door with production, i.e. tagging and revisions, then people are forced to *stop* using Causality at the point that it becomes a shooting script. And as we all know, that's not where writing ends. And now people have to move the text of the script into something completely different just so they can shoot it. It's not great.

All I can say is that it's on the radar. But it's overshadowed by the need for sync/collaboration, which has very high pressure for broad parts of the userbase, so that's where the energy goes.

Banquetburger
12-05-2023, 02:47 PM
Roger that.

Using the tags as a brute-force system will work for my needs for now.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful response.
Banquetburger
12-05-2023, 02:47 PM #3

Roger that.

Using the tags as a brute-force system will work for my needs for now.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful response.

perholmes
Per Holmes
12-05-2023, 02:50 PM
Thanks!
perholmes
12-05-2023, 02:50 PM #4

Thanks!